DOT Qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)
Bowdoin Recovery Services, LLC, Qualified Substance Abuse Professional (QSAP) can help employees who have violated a DOT drug and alcohol program regulation and make recommendations concerning education, treatment, follow-up testing, and aftercare. We also help employers who want to assist their employees in meeting the DOT requirements so they can return to work quickly.
Summary of Services
- Initial Evaluation
- Follow-Up Evaluation
WHAT IS A QUALIFIED SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROFESSIONAL (QSAP)?
A U.S. Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) operates as a “gatekeeper” of the return-to-duty process and provides an important service to the employee, the employer and the traveling public.
Specifically, Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) evaluate workers who have violated a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol program regulation and make recommendations concerning education, treatment, follow-up testing and continuing care. SAPs provide the following services for their clients:
- Conduct comprehensive face-to-face assessment and clinical evaluation to determine what level of assistance the employee needs in resolving problems associated with alcohol use or prohibited drug use;
- Recommend a course of education and/or treatment with which the employee must comply prior to returning to DOT safety-sensitive duty;
- Serve as a referral source to assist the employee’s entry into an acceptable program;
- Conduct a face-to-face follow-up evaluation with the employee to determine if the individual has demonstrated successful compliance with recommendations of the initial evaluation and has made appropriate clinical progress sufficient to return to duty;
- Develop and direct a follow-up testing plan for the employee returning to work following successful compliance;
- Provide the employee and employer with recommendations for continuing care.